A hearty, healthy and delicious meal, this one is great when you want to put something together for a quick Sunday brunch. This one takes about fifteen minutes from start to finish, with the most arduous thing being the grating of the zucchini.
It’s delicious fresh out of the oven with a side of crispy bacon, a green salad and some fresh tomato and any leftovers you have are great served cold, as a snack or in a lunch the next day.
What You’ll Need:
Serves six, preparation time 15 minutes, cook time 35-40 minutes.
- 375g of Zucchini (about 2 large), Grated
- 1 Cup of Mozzarella or Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Grated
- 5 Eggs (Large), Beaten
- 1 Cup of All Purpose Flour
- 1 Large Brown Onion, Diced
- 60ml (1/4 Cup) Cooking Oil
- 1 and 1/4 tsps Salt
- 1tsp Pepper
- 200g of Rindless Bacon/Back Bacon
- Spinach/Rocket Salad Mix
- Fresh Tomato
- 1tsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 2tsp Virgin Olive Oil (or any equivalent)
- Lamington or backing tray, around 30cm x 20cm
- Baking Paper
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Spatula for Mixing
- Measuring Cups
- Preheat the oven 170c
- Dice your brown onion finely and then saute over mid-high heat until onion is translucent and brown. Set aside.
- Grate cheese and zucchini, and set aside in a clean bowl or on a cutting board.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl until fully combined and mixture has no whites remaining. Pour in the flour and mix with the eggs until smooth and there are no lumps left in the mixture.
- Add zuchini, cheese and onion and mix until well combined. Season with salt and pepper and mix through.
- Grease your baking tray and line with baking paper.
- Pour your mixture into the prepared pan and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes, until the top of your slice is golden brown and crispy.
- While your slice is baking, prepare your sides. Pan fry your bacon until it is crispy and golden. Mix a simple salad with a salad mix (we used Spinach and Rocket), cucumber, tomato and a simple Balsamic vinaigrette (1tsp Balsamic vinegar to every 2tsp of Olive Oil).
- Serve your slice hot or cold, with bacon and a green salad for sides.
Perfect for a Sunday brunch, a midday lunch or even a light dinner, this recipe is super quick to make and easy to dress up and change, should you want to experiment. All of the ingredients are forgiving, making it a good recipe for beginners or one to make with little ones.